About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reflections on Health, Work Ethics, and Our Futures

Triage, a French term meaning to sort, is an excellent way to describe my life. Every day I have to sort out what is immediate, what needs to be done today, and what can wait until tomorrow. This triage mechanism is not static, but fluid and dynamic. For example, when charged with writing this blog, I shifted my priorities to complete this and moved other priorities (e.g. removing the air conditioner from my room) down. What I learned from the discussion today is that I am not the only one that this system. That makes me feel good; I know there is strength in numbers. 

Paying it forward, an ideology Dr. Abrons taught us is an excellent concept that I hope that I can use when I graduate from school. The idea is to give back to someone what has been given to you. I believe this concept is similar to my own ideology which is as healthcare professioanls we are tasked with cultivating a generation of healthcare professionals after us. It is my hope that I can help teach a more compassionate, more intelligent, and better team members than my generation.

As what I want to do with my life: I know I want to become a physician and practice in family or emergency medicine. I would like to sub-specialize in palliative care. But like with all things, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment