About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cultural Competence

After reviewing the notes and engaging in discussion about cultural competence I feel as though I have a better understanding of the importance of it as we near traveling to Dominica. Although I am not as familiar with the people of Dominica as I would like to be now, I am confident that I will learn a lot while I am there. In every profession it is important to have cultural competence because you are constantly dealing with a multitude of people from various backgrounds.

Taking the quiz allowed me to realize various areas where I am not strong in cultural competence and I will continue to improve upon those areas not only while in Dominica but also while I am working in various communities as a pharmacy student and pharmacist.

It was great talking with the other students and learning traditions and various foods that we have learned to grow up with. It was also interesting to discuss that some people still demonstrate racism and are less understanding of other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment