About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Monday, October 10, 2011

Cultural Competency


Cultural competency is a very important aspect of interactions with other individuals.  After taking a pre-assessment on cultural competency I have learned some very intriguing things about my cultural knowledge.  I was least to see communication in a secondary language as a weakness of mine.  Becoming more competent in other languages is an ongoing task for me.  I also expected to show competence in respecting the traditions of other cultures and my assessment showed this.  On the other hand, I was very surprised to see that the assessment showed me lacking in my awareness of cultural preferences and environmental influences on choices about diet, nutrition and physical activity as I strive to constantly understand and grow in my education of these factors in other cultures.  In Dominica I am going to continue to strive to improve and develop my cultural competency.  I feel that it is an area that can always be improved upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment