About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflections of the Transition From the Classroom to the Counseling Session

In my free time I’m a substitute teacher at a rural middle school and high school. In this position I have learned multiple skills that I have transitioned to my counseling sessions with great success. Although there are many skills I could write on, two major skills I have learned in the classroom are respect and active listening. The skill of respect I have found the most important. Respect is a two way street, instructor to student and student to instructor.  In healthcare, this is no different. One must respect the boundaries and limitations (e.g. mental, physical, and financial) of the patient, while the patient must respect the knowledge of the practitioner.  This skill in the classroom can turn a student that is antagonistic into a stellar pupil. In the counseling setting it can turn a patient that outright refuses care into going to the doctor. Another skill I have learned in the classroom that I have seen to have a positive impact on learning during counseling is active listening. Students are masters of active listening (and seeing) and can pinpoint the exact mood (e.g. nervousness) of the teacher from their non-verbal communication (e.g. tapping a pen on a desk) and from the statement of, “Good morning, class” (Was that a quiver in the voice?). In a counseling session through the use of active listening I have been able to direct the conversation to ensure adequate dialogue, discussion, and understanding. From these experiences I have had excellent opportunities to teach and motivate the patient (and student) towards positive goals, and I hope I can continue this trend while in Dominica.  

No comments:

Post a Comment