About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Reflection


            The profession of pharmacy allows for many unique opportunities for individuals to not only help patients on an everyday basis but to work with other medical professionals to make a difference in others lives and the health care system.  One of the main reasons I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy was the ability to serve as resource for people in the community setting by answering the questions on prescription medications, over-the-counter treatments, health, and wellness.  Pharmacists are readily accessible health care professionals and always willing to help. 
            Having the opportunity to visit the country of Dominica and spend time with other medical professionals and patients is going to be a great experience.  As a student pharmacist I feel like I can definitely make an impact with the health care providers in the country.   After spending several years in the classroom, I will definitely be willing and able to share my knowledge of pharmacy with others.  Hopefully I will be able to offer insight on various medications and disease state treatment protocols.  I will be able to provide counseling services to both patients and health care providers and answer questions or concerns they may have.  I also hope to offer insight to the providers on the current health care system in the United States and how medical care is currently utilized in the country.  I hope to help providers in any way possible while in Dominica, whether it be organizing their facilities or helping with patients.   Being able to bring down resources such as posters and flyers on medical topics will also make an impact by increasing awareness to providers and patients.  Understanding that many individuals in Dominica may not be familiar of some of the disease states, this will provide a great opportunity to increase their knowledge and awareness.  Lastly, I hope to learn from each other. We come from different areas of the world and there are cultural differences between us.  Being able to share knowledge with each other will make a big impact and hopefully we will have many memories from the experience. 
            I look forward to this experience and working with both the health care providers and patients in Dominica.   I hope my efforts along with the rest of the ACPHS student pharmacist group will make a difference in the areas we visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment