About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to teach

Teaching patients about their medications is one of the highlights of my job as a Price Chopper Intern.  I love explaining to them what they are receiving and what side effects it may cause.   By teaching people, it also helps me remember what I need to know for my future practice as a licensed pharmacist.  The way I like to help patients learn is by asking questions.  If they hesitate, I usually just re-iterate the important facts about a medication or device briefly which sometimes allows a patient to let their guard down and talk about things they may have been embarrassed about.  I also feel as though teaching patients how to learn by using diagrams and pictures helps them focus more instead of just listening to words that they may not comprehend. These are the two specific ways I like to teach patients how to learn and would like to become more comfortable with doing without having any hesitations of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment