About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Patient Education:

When attempting to counsel patient's, I had a tendency to launch into a giant speech regarding their medication. I'll go over dosage, side-effect profiles, mechanism of action, the whole nine-yards in an attempt to better educate the patient about their own health needs. When launching into a speech was my only counseling technique, I would notice that it wouldn't take long for patients to assume a glazed-eye look, and to nod their way through the rest of our conversation.  


Now, however, I try a different approach:
1. I ask the patient to explain to me what they know about the medication. Most patient's are happy to volunteer what information they've previously heard and from there-on, my job is to gently fix any mis-conceptions or review any key-points.
2. I see if I have a physical object available that the patient can touch, or look at. One of the best tool's I've seen used was a piece of spare-tubing that the pharmacist I was rotating with  would use to explain how blood flows through heart vessels to patients. 
3. Diagrams. This was perhaps the best tool I had at my disposal while rotating through IHS, a giant white-board that sat in the counseling room with a black dry-erase marker for our patients to use. I went back to this white-board numerous times to illustrate a point, or to explain complicated dosing regimens. 
4. Lastly, I would ask my patients to explain to me what they had learned after our session. Simply asking if they had any questions is often useless; most patient's are busy with their own lives and are worried that responding with a "Yes" will lead into another series of lectures.

As I continue to develop into a Pharmacist, I hope to learn from the techniques of my peers and superiors so that by the end of my Clerkships, I am ready to engage my patients in the manner most beneficial to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment