About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Final Thoughts


After only being back in the states for a little over 24 hours, I am already missing Dominica.  The two-week trip was a wonderful experience and I had an amazing time.  I am so thankful to be apart of this experience; spending time in the country made me feel like I was in another world that was often breathtaking.  From the beautiful scenery, to the people, to the food, Dominica really is the nature island of the Caribbean. 

Our trip was filled with many different activities such as visiting different schools, going to health clinics, painting at the House of Hope, going on hikes, visiting the market and much more.  There were several moments on this trip that have really stayed with me.   One of my favorite times was going to the Delice Primary School.  Being able to spend time with the children and have them be excited and energized to see us was such a great feeling. I enjoyed talking to the kids about the profession of pharmacy, playing games, helping with their schoolwork and reading with them.  It was great when I took out my camera and started taking pictures and then all of a sudden the kids ran up to me wanting to test it out.  I have to say they took some great shots.   Visiting the school made me appreciate the importance of education and encouraging younger students to stay in school and pursue their dreams.  When we stopped back toward the end of our trip and the principal and students presented us with a thank you gift, it brought chills to my body.  I was touched and humbled at how much the students and staff cared about us being there. 

Another great moment for me was visiting Pommes house.   Pommes, a man who lives a few miles from the main roads with his family, lives completely off of the land and built his house and surroundings on his own.  To see his acres of land filled with gardens of fruit trees, flowers, and vegetables was breathtaking.  He described it as the “Garden of Eden,” from the Bible.   I was just in aw the whole time I was there as I was so impressed at how he and his family live their lives.  To see how he is able to utilize nature to survive is remarkable.  It made me realize how reliable we are in the states on materialistic items that we probably do not need.  Seeing Pommes house made me want to expand my diet to include more natural products and live a healthier lifestyle.  Also, I will now try to question myself the next time I want that new electronic gadget to see if I really need it.

This rotation was a great learning experience for me.  I learned a lot about myself on this trip.  It opened my eyes and took me out of my little environment bubble I am so use to.  I know this will help me in my future career as a pharmacist by having a better sense of care, compassion, and empathy for patients I encounter.

I want to close by saying I am grateful for the kindness of the people of Dominica, including the staff at Jungle Bay, for making our stay lovely.  I always felt welcomed everywhere we went on the trip and that meant a lot to me.  I am thankful for the efforts Dr. Abrons put into this rotation to make it such a success.   This trip would not have been possible without her hard work and dedication.  Many thanks to our other preceptors Jess, Theresa, and Kristen who took time out of their work schedules to help us on this journey.   To my fellow student pharmacists on the rotation, it was a pleasure spending time with you and getting to know you better.  The days I spent in Dominica were some of the best days of my life and I know I will remember this trip for many years to come!

3 comments:

  1. This days pharmacies is additionally functioning through on-line, as a results of tons of people is trying for pharmacies who is working through online. PharmacyGuider.com is an on-line pharmacy reviews website, where drug-shoppers come back back to share their experiences of on-line pharmacies they've ordered from. by the pharmacy guider pharmacies can manipulate things fastidiously.
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. Buy Adderall Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. Medical Billing Solution

    ReplyDelete