About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Experience of a Lifetime

Over the years, I have travelled to many different countries but none of them compare to the island of Dominica, West Indies.  I have always wanted to complete a medical mission trip when I was younger, even if it was to make a difference in just one person's life.  Little did I know that I would be making a difference in many people's lives, both young and old on this rotation. 

While there, we visited multiple clinics, one being located in the area of La Plaine.  Kent, the pharmacist of that area (and a few other districts) explained of the lack of supplies available to them and how he must order all needed supplies for his clinics, including first aid items, only once every two months.   From this statement, I realized how much our society takes advantage of things available to them and they do not appreciate the access they have as much as people in other countries do.  Though Dominica’s health care is a free health care system, there are restrictions as to how many products are allowed to be purchased.  I, along with others on our team, accumulated various types of donations in which to leave while in Dominica for those who are in need.  Though I felt as though some of these gifts would not be as appreciated as much as others, I was pleasantly surprised that items such as OTC eye drops and saline rinses were very much in need.  Kent had assured me the items donated were extremely valuable and it has made me want to reach out and help as much as possible in the future.
Finally, the primary schools are the places I feel were the absolute most rewarding part of this rotation.  The children at all three schools gave us kisses, held our hands, and even said "I love you miss" while we spent the day with them.  After leaving one school in particular, Petite Savanne, I had the revelation, "this is the reason why I came to Dominica".  From here on out, I feel as though we all have left a forever impression on the people of Dominica.
I want to conclude saying thank you to everyone who helped make our trip so amazing and helped me grow not only as a person but also to become a better pharmacist.  It is my hope to be a part of this rotation in the future for other students at ACPHS and Drake and re-unite with the friends I have made on the island of Dominica.

No comments:

Post a Comment