About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Element of Nature, a Rewarding Cultural Experience: Dominica

This rotation to Dominica was my first trip traveling outside of the United States. Before leaving for Dominica, I had a general picture of the island in my mind; however, after spending two weeks in Dominica the depiction of the island I created was mistaken, and I realized this was an experience which has become very difficult to describe. Initially, I was clinging to an idea which was formulated from pictures I viewed from past rotation experiences to Dominica and from other pictures I had researched online of Dominica. However, you actually have to physically stand on Dominican soil, breathe in deeply the ocean air, and speak to the people of Dominica. The reality of viewing the spectacular terrain, the associations I made with such down to earth individuals, and the education I gained about Dominican culture was truly unique. To be able to immerse myself in an entire new world in which the utilization of natural resources is necessary for survival was absolutely incredible. To the majority of people living in America, this concept appears ancient. Overall, this rotation to Dominica was an experience I believe many individuals should have an opportunity to discover.
Despite a temporary injury which limited my participation in hiking to the Boiling Lake, Pomme’s Paradise, the White River, Victoria Falls, Zom Zom, and Paix Bouche, I remained positive and open-minded. I was not going to struggle with the idea of my immobility limiting the opportunity for me to learn all I could about Dominica.  I was still able to attend yoga instruction with Nancy each morning with my classmates and participate in meditative breathing exercises. During each meal at the Pavilion Restaurant, a friendly face was always there to greet us before, during, and after each of our meals. The relaxing passing rain showers and the sounds of the Mountain Whistler in the morning reminded me of the natural grace of Dominica.  With each visit to the three schools: Delices, La Plaine, and Petite Savanne, the children were ecstatic to spend the day with us. Their energy and naivety to the world was refreshing. It made me step back and realize the simple things in life such as a smile, a hug, or reading a book together was enough to bring them happiness.  The conversations I had with patients at the clinics and during the Health Fair enabled me to understand their perspective on health care and the importance of Bush medicine. I spent a considerable amount of time engaging in conversations with two particular individuals at the La Plaine clinic. Looking back at those individuals I had a conversation with, I am sure we will remember each other. There is no doubt about it. There were some of the same emotions felt: caring, respect, understanding, and laughter. It is this human connection observed among two very different worlds which made me recognize we are not very different at all.
At this time I want to extend a special thank you to Sam Raphael and the staff at Jungle Bay for their hospitality and the last minute accommodations because of my injury.  Also, thank you to Dr. Abrons for encouraging me to travel to Dominica despite my broken foot and dependence on crutches, and to Kristen, Jess, and Tressa for your support and guidance.  Lastly, thank you to Peter, Hassan, Mike, Josh, Rachel, Krissy, Bridget, Nicole, and Brittany. We were the core team which made this rotation experience to Dominica worthwhile for each other. Your thoughtfulness, encouragement, and unfailing strength made this rotation a reality for me.  I certainly would not have been able to participate in most of the activities without your help.  With no doubt, our journey to Dominica has impacted us all personally, but the memories we created together will remain a shared experience for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment