About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dominica Reflection: Bush Medicine to Boiling Lake

When I thought about the Dominica rotation and all the possibilities for learning about natural medicine and cultural competence I did not fully comprehend just how much I truly would gain. Dominica was amazing in so many ways and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to visit this wonderful country and interact with its people!
From the very beginning Jungle Bay was not what I had expected at all. We stayed in very nice cabanas that were made of beautiful wood and you could tell the artistry and craftsmanship that went into making each one. I remember vividly the hill that we had to walk up that first night to get to our cabana as well; thinking wow never should have wore my danskos for this! Not to mention how hot and humid it was in this place. It was definitely going to take some getting used to from the very different climate I had just come from in the Midwest.
The rotation activities that we were able to participate in were great! We went to three different schools where we did a pharmacy day activity with the children and physical activities. The students were so excited to see us and play with our cameras. It really felt like you were making a difference in their lives.
I had my “this is what I came to Dominica for” moment when we took part in the first ever rural health fair at the La Plaine Health Clinic. Before coming to Dominica I was tasked with becoming the “expert” in women’s health and focused on women and pregnancy as well as self-breast exams for screening for breast cancer. While at the clinic I talked to a woman who was five months pregnant who had visited a smaller clinic in one of the local villages and had not been put on folic acid yet. We had a long discussion about her health and that of her unborn child and through the help of the La Plaine nurses we were able to get her the folic acid that she needed. At that moment I felt like I truly made a difference in the life of a Dominican!
In addition, I cannot say enough about the Jungle Bay staff, Sam, Nancy, Joanne, Justinian, Brother, and the rest of the guides. I unfortunately became ill while in Dominica and they went to great lengths to help me feel comfortable by cooking special food for me and making bush tea to help me feel better. We came to Dominica to learn about the natural herbs and bush medicine that they use but I never thought for a second that I personally would have to use it myself. While I was ill they made me ginger tea which was very helpful in settling my stomach and also guava leaf tea which actually made me feel the best. The guava leaf tea was very mild in taste but made the terrible stomach cramping that I had go away completely. I was definitely somewhat skeptical about natural products before this trip; however, I can now say that they definitely do have a role in our health!
Finally, the opportunities to explore the countryside of Dominica are numerous. I was able to go on the epic boiling lake hike (14,000 stairs in total and 6 hours long.) I can honestly say that this hike taught me a lot about myself and who I am as a person. I am so glad that I completed the hike and was able to take in the magnificent scenery that it had to offer as well as the friendships that I created in the process. I will never forget the feeling I had when I made it to the top of the mountain and when we reached boiling lake (soaking wet and all)!!
I am so grateful to have been able to go on this rotation and learn all that I did! I feel as though I am a little bit of a different person than I was before. I have learned from the wonderful Dominican people that it is ok to keep busy in your life but you definitely need to have balance and slow down a little and enjoy life as well!
Thank you Jungle Bay for your hospitality and welcoming us into your family! I hope to return in the future!!

2 comments:

  1. Your information is so valuable. Thanks for sharing! Guide to Kratom Powder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gangaur Realtech is a professionally managed organisation specializing in real estate services where integrated services are provided by professionals to its clients seeking increased value by owning, occupying or investing in real estate. gamot sa pigsa

    ReplyDelete