About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Letter to Future Pharmacist

Hello Future Pharmacists to Dominica!!!
I hope you are excited for a new adventure.  Dominica was an experience I could never have imagined.  The island is one of the most beautiful places I have seen yet and contains the friendliest people.  I noticed in talking to other visitors that everyone found the people of this island friendlier than most other places.
I'm sure you have a few concerns in providing pharmaceutical care in a foreign country.  Fortunately, people here do speak English; that being said, it is not necessarily easy to communicate.  You really need to focus on being able to make your information understandable to a lower educational status than your own.  This is something we constantly face at our jobs but it was easier to see here because people are more open about talking to you about their health and they are truly knowledge hungry.  I really encourage your to step outside of your box and walk up to them and start talking, they also have a lot of information to share with you if you are brave enough to ask.  It is good to keep in mind that a lot of their bush medicine is closely related to the vitamins and supplements people ask for in the United States.
I know I had a lot of packing questions when I was preparing for my trip and I'm sure you do too.  Firstly I would encourage your to pack light.  You do not need much while staying at Jungle Bay.  I would strongly encourage leaving your computer and iPods at home.  It is very hard for us to live without our instant communication, but it is a good challenge for you to do so.  You might just find out how nice it is to have someone to talk with face-to-face.  It is also good to help you relax and forget your hectic life for a while.  Secondly, I would recommend good walking/water shoes.  Dr. Abrons will recommend buying the Keen water sandals.  They are good shoes however I often had crud building up in the toes on hikes.  Perhaps look for a water shoe without holes in it.  Lots of work out shorts and tops that will dry fast.  I choose to pack very light in a backpack and wash my clothing as I go and that has worked out very well for me.  Lastly, she will tell you to work out--really cannot stress this enough.  Any type will help, although I don't think anything could really have me prepared, especially having just gotten back from the Boiling Lake hike.
If you only take one piece of advice with you on your trip I hope it is to simply be a sponge; soak up at much information as you can, ask as many questions as you can.  They love being able to share with you want they know.  Most importantly relax and have a good time.

Katie Hassebroek
I can be reached at kmhassebroek06@ole.augie.edu if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment