About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Monday, August 19, 2013

Dear Future Student,

This trip has truly been life-changing for me, in the small amount of time that I have had in Dominica I have learned so much about the culture, their practice of medicine, as well as many things about myself. This rotation provides a great experience to learn about herbals and what they can be used for especially since the patients on this island are used to using those types of therapy. Additionally, some of the time that you are down here you have opportunities to go to some of the clinics here in Dominica, in many ways their routine doctor visits are similar to that in the United States, but at the same one thing that stuck out to me was the healthcare provider's access to medical supplies. Things like alcohol swabs weren't available at some of the clinics, so it truly makes you appreciate what we have in the United States as well as the ability to access what we need, when we needed. 
My advice to you, as a future student of this rotation is to come here with an open mind. You will do things you thought you would never do as well as see things you thought you would never see. I would come prepared to, in a sense, act like a sponge and absorb as much of this country as you can since you only get two weeks here. I also advise you to know your schedule ahead of time, although here in Dominica things may not always go as planned, I have found that at least having an idea of what is planned really helps in preparing you to learn the night before. Also, it forces you to become flexible with things since they may not always work out. Additionally, I think it is important to get to know your roommates ahead of time to be able to have enough time to learn about their personalities and adjust. It is also nice to know your roommates ahead of time so that you can divide up who will bring what in order to make packing more manageable. Lastly, I recommend to just have fun and do as much as you can here. I did a few of the hikes and don't think my trip would've been the same had I not done them. The staff here at Jungle Bay are amazing and possibly the nicest people you will ever meet. They take the time to get to know you and take care of you in a way almost like family. I rolled my ankle during the first hike and the staff here checked on me everyday until it got better! 
Dominica is truly a special place and I hope to come back some day. You will have an opportunity to learn about the culture, but the one thing I learned from this experience that has effected me personally was to appreciate what you have. Many of the people in Dominica have very little, but some how manage to make the best of everything in their paths. In the United States we take many things for granted and never fully appreciate how lucky to have many of the things we do. Being able to collect donations and provide them to the clinics was a great feeling and  one that I haven't had the chance to experience very much. Being in Dominica makes me want to pay it forward in the future, especially to areas where they have little, yet appreciate any type of help we are able to provide. 

Oh... and one more thing, when the preceptors encourage you to work out before the trip, LISTEN TO THEM! Although I don't think you will ever be trained enough for the hills in Dominica your body will thank you for preparing them! I would find the biggest hill in your town or city and walk it at least once a day or do the elliptical or stair-master in stead. I worked out almost every day and still felt like I could have done more before coming.

Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment