About Me

We are the student pharmacists, pharmacists, and staff selected to participate in the yearly International Dominica Pharmacy Rotation offered. We hope you enjoy reading and sharing our adventures. If you are interested in learning more - contact us at abronsdominicarotation@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Monday, January 28, 2013



On Monday afternoon, we went to harvest cinnamon with a Jungle Bay staff member. I was glad that there was not as much walking involved in this activity because I was tired after the Boiling Lake hike yesterday, and it's been the activity I have been looking forward to the most on this trip. 
I tried every step to the process except the first, which was the chopping of the tree with a machete. I was too exhausted for the amount of effort that it would have taken me to try. There were a few of us who did not even know that cinnamon came from a tree. 
The next step was like shaving the outer skin of the tree with a knife. It was similar to the sugar cane we did last week, but I thought it was much harder. If you shaved until you saw a white color, you went too deep. 
After that, the staff member cut 6 inch pieces around the tree branch so we could get the knife under the top layer of the tree. It looked a lot easier than it was. Most of us couldn't get the piece off in one in order for it to curl like cinnamon sticks, but I had fun harvesting it!
We all got to take a piece of the cinnamon with us to dry ourselves. It usually takes a couple days to sit out to dry. I can't wait until mine is done so I can make some cinnamon iced tea like Jungle Bay serves because it is to die for!
Ashley Gulvik

No comments:

Post a Comment